Thursday, 1 June 2017

Hillcrest's New Restaurant : Jack Salmon Fish House

There have been many changes in Hillcrest over the past year and the opening of the Watercrest Mall caused a huge shift of stores away from Hillcrest Corner. It was sad to see all the empty shops but now I am glad to see the new ones that have moved in and the centre is getting very busy again.

Three new restaurants have opened at Hillcrest Corner with the latest one being Jack Salmon Fish House which has taken over half of the space where Mr Price clothing used to be. I believe that another restaurant will take over the other half. It’s a perfect place for a restaurant with ease of access and lots of parking.

The restaurant is spacious with a nice amount of tables creating a good flow. The decor has a few nautical touches but doesn’t scream “We serve seafood!” It is a relaxed decor that would fit perfectly in a seaside cottage.



Decor, ambiance, lighting, parking and ease of access are all very important features for a restaurant but the most important of all is of course the FOOD.  There are no mushy prawns or limp fish allowed at Jack Salmon. All seafood is fresh and freshly prepared.

There is an extensive menu and I took my time reading through it whilst sipping on a sparkling water as it was a warm day. For those people that are pressed for time they have a Light Lunch Menu for R98 which consists of a choice of starter and main. There are 5 starters to choose from and 5 mains. The Light Lunch Menu is available Monday – Friday from 12pm – 4pm.

Fortunately I did not have to decide which starter I would like on this occasion as Jason the restaurant owner made the choices for us. Us being Inge of Snap, Sizzle & Cook, Shirley and Gareth from Cuizine Africa and Nicola from Ask Ashe.

A wide range of starters arrived at the table including sushi and a sushi donut. Yes you did read that right – a sushi donut!  I never order sushi and it is definitely not on my favourites list but I found it very hard to stop eating and my taste portion of the sushi donut was superb. In fact all the starters were superb and so full of flavour. The calamari was soft and I loved the presentation of it on the skewer.


Starters

Sushi Donut


Jason recommended that we order our choice of platter and I decided to have the Captain’s Platter which consisted of catch of the day (Dorado) or Kingklip, 6 medium prawns and calamari. I chose to have the Dorado and chips but you can also have vegetables or a salad instead of chips. The platter was delicious and I found no bones in my piece of Dorado.


Captian's Platter


Nicola, Shirley and Gareth had to get back to work but Inge and I were not leaving until we had tried out a dessert. After all dessert is the most important part of any menu. Whenever I see Crème Brulee on a menu I order it but this time my eyes were caught and held by “Death by Brownie – decadent deep-fried brownie nuggets filled with a gooey chocolate centre.”  With wording like that who could resist and oh wow was it divine! It paired perfectly with the Illy cappuccino that I ordered.


Death by Brownie





Hillcrest is the newest of the Jack Salmon Fish House restaurants but if that is too far for you to travel they also have restaurants in Glenore  Centre, Glenashley and Tiffany’s Centre, Salt Rock.


Have a look at their Website and Facebook pages for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment