Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Skinny laMinx Launch of Diggi Dot Collection


On Tuesday 2 June I went to the launch of Skinny laMinx’s new fabric range called Diggi Dot in Walnut Interior Fabrics at 111 Peter Mokaba Road Durban.

Heather Moore is the owner of Skinny laMinx, a self-taught illustrator and designer, who started the business as a hobby in 2006. Now Skinny laMinx is to be found in stores throughout the world.

 
Here she tells how the collection came about :

“Last year, I went off to Jaipur at the invitation of Ritchie Ace Camps, to teach a three day course in pattern generation and design as part of a seven day experiential tour focused on traditional Indian block printing and dying techniques. My role was to teach how to design and create pattern using lino printing blocks.

We stayed in a charming old hotel in Jaipur called Hotel Diggi Palace, where I taught my course at in the leafy poolside courtyard.

While prepping for the trip, I did a lot of lino block printing in my studio, and found this method of generating pattern very exciting, because of the way the simplest shapes can generate endless combinations and variations, with just a shift of direction or colour.

Upon my return, I thought I might make an India-inspired collection, which would be vibrant, decorative and generally quite excessive, but instead, I found myself drawn to soft colours and delicate lines. I wrote this in my journal on my last day in Jaipur:

“I’ve come away with a sense of sweetness and calm beneath the clamor and chaos of the traffic. Delicate fabrics, the finest lines, the softest tones: My experience of India has been all about exquisite skill, craftsmanship and attention to the finest detail.”

The result is the Diggi Dot collection, where the simplest block printed motifs - a line, a half circle and a dot – combine with the fresh, light colours of Jaipur and Hotel Diggi Palace.

 
Diggi Dot collection
 


Heather explained to us about her fabrics and how they fit into her original range and even showed us by putting various fabric colours and designs together. Her range, new and old, is so versatile and can be used in a baby’s room to a teenager’s room.

New and old collection in red


 
 
The 2015/16 Colour Book contains the following designs and colours :

Simple Stripe

-          Lemon

-          Mint

-          Liquorice

-          Steel

-          Signal Red

 
Sway

-          Steel / Signal

-          Lemon / Mint

-          Liquorice / Fog


Gridly

-          Steel / Signal

-          Glass / Mint

-          Lemon / Fog


Block Circle

-          Liquorice

-          Steel

-          Signal Red

 

Skinny laMinx fabric is priced at R545 per meter and is available from 201 Bree Street in Cape Town and online at www.skinnylaminx.com

Refreshment table

The all important coffee!


If you are Durban based you can also go and see the new Diggi Dot collection and Skinny laMinx’s other collections at Walnut Interior Fabrics.

Thank you to Heather Moore for coming to Durban to show us the new range and to Walnut Interior Fabrics for hosting such a lovely morning.




Myself and Heather Moore

Lovely practical bag as a gift for attending
 

No comments:

Post a Comment