Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Your Family #1989 Recipe Challenge

I love going to the Kloof & Highway SPCA and looking and scratching through their interesting shops. On Monday last week I bought a zip to fix a pencil case, some bias binding (just because it was pretty), old jeans for a project and a lovely vintage dress pattern. Looked through their other shops then went to the bookroom. I was about to go inside when I noticed a thick red file on a shelf so went to look at it. Was thrilled to see old Your Family magazines from 1989. I wasn’t going to leave them behind as you so rarely see any old magazines anymore. I also bought an old hardcover Nancy Drew book (my daughter collects them) and a kids baking book. When I arrived home I wiped down all the magazines and put the jeans into wash and then carried on with the work I needed to do.



When my husband came home that night and I showed him the magazines, his question was “what are you going to do with them?” I said that I was going to enjoy looking through them and maybe make some items from them. I also thought it would be fun to challenge Inge to make something sweet or savoury from one of the magazines. She accepted my challenge and my sister Carryn did as well. I then tweeted to ask others if they would like to join in the fun and to date I have 2 other ladies also going to make a recipe.
November 1989

The 1989 recipe

I chose November 1989 and decided to make a savoury dish, something interesting and not a normal meal. I came across Bacon and Egg Pudding on page 55 and this was exactly what I was looking for. Here is the recipe as taken from the magazine.


Bacon and Egg Pudding

6 slices white bread, crusts removed

250g bacon, diced and fried

4 eggs

Salt and pepper to taste

1 litre milk

Nutmeg to sprinkle

Cut bread into 1,5cm slices, layer in a greased ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with bacon, set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly and season well. Heat milk to boiling point, whisk into eggs. Pour into dish, sprinkle with nutmeg. Allow to stand, 20 minutes. Stand basin in a pan of boiling water, bake at 180C, 45 minutes or until set.

Serves four to six.

I made the dish last Thursday night and here are my notes :

I have a wonderful collection of old Corningware so I thought that would be perfect to use to make this interesting dish. My smaller size was used to cook the dish and the larger size was used for the water bath.

Very easy dish to make. I warmed the milk in a glass bowl in the microwave.

I cooked the bacon & egg pudding for 10 minutes more that the time as it didn’t look like it was properly set.

 
Bacon cooked and the dish ready to assemble
 
Ready for the oven

The cooked Bacon & Egg Pudding (the bacon isn't burnt it is just my camera makes it darker)


Hubby came home when it was still cooking and asked me what the lovely smell was. Once it came out of the oven his comment was ... “interesting!” I served the egg & bacon pudding with a salad. It was rather wobbly and sort of smushy when I scooped it out with the serving spoon but it was definitely cooked through. We ate and hubby went and had seconds as well. The general consensus was “interesting”.

It was fun to make and to try out but I definitely will not be making it again. I am very interested though to try out other recipes from 1989 and I look forward to seeing what the other ladies thought of their recipes.

If you read this and are also keen to make a recipe from Your Family 1989 tweet me (@NicolaLMeyer) with a month and whether you would like a sweet or savoury recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment