Monday, 28 July 2014

Weekend Weariness Part 1


Hello I’m back!  The school holidays are over (very sad) and we are getting back into the school routine.  I had a great time with the kids in the holidays and also managed to rest a lot in between some things I had to do in the house.  Finally after a VERY long time I made a cover for our coffee plunger which turned out well.  Anyway let me tell you about my busy, busy weekend – Part 1.

First up was Market at the Square on Friday night.  This market is held at Granada Square in Umhlanga which is quite a distance from Kloof.  But I finally had the perfect excuse to attend.  Market at the Square had been running a Christmas in July competition on their Facebook page where every day a prize was offered and you had to nominate the person who you thought should win it.  My sister Carryn nominated me for the very first prize, a clutch bag from Zulu Lulu and she won it for me.  The people who won had to be able to collect the prize from the storeholder at the market.  The kids and I were all ready to leave for Umhlanga but unfortunately Neil had been delayed at the office because of a braai.  So we only left home at about 5:30pm.  Oh yes the market is from 6pm  - 10pm.  We drove into Umhlanga and made our way to Granada Square.  OH MY!! People, people crowds of people everywhere.  In the bars, in the restaurants, standing on the pavements and completely filling the square.  It took us about 10 – 15 minutes to find parking and then we could finally get to the market.  First up was to see Chikondi at Rondavel to collect a soap and lip balm that they so generously donated for Laura’s school high tea.  I also took the opportunity to buy my favourite soap – Milk & Honey.  Then it was into the crowds we went – tight squeeze.  We saw cupcakes, biltong, handmade chocolates, lamb wraps and the biggest pan of Paella ever.  There was also live music so there was a fab vibe.  My son spotted the coffee stand but I wanted to collect my clutch bag from Jane first before having a cup.  We eventually found her and she gave me the bag and we had a bit of a chat.  Jane was one of the bloggers that attended the Durban Blogger Meet.  She sells the Zulu Lulu bags and also lots of lovely jewellery under her other label It's a Bling Thing.
Jane took the photo of me with the gorgeous clutch bag
 
Okay, so back into the crowd we went.  The kids decided on pancakes so I got one each for them.  Then it was coffee time!  I ordered a single shot cappuccino from Four Brothers Coffee Co and I give it a thumbs up.  Very delish!  I then spotted The Thrift Collection and Laura found a top for herself and I had a long chat to Sara.  Also checked that there would be an upload of menswear this Monday night so Caleb could shop.  Then it was time for us to head home.  Market at the Square has a great vibe and lovely storeholders such as Rondavel, The Thrift Collection, It's a Bling Thing/Zulu Lulu, Daniela’s and Rollin Vintage.  I do suggest that when you go, get there for 6pm to do your shopping and get your food.  When I say that it was crowded I really mean it!

Baristas in action

Single shot cappuccino


 

Now it’s onto my busy Saturday experience – Taste ofDurban.  Originally Laura was to come with me, as she did last year, but unfortunately she had a mini hockey tournament at that time.  So Neil took Laura to the hockey tournament and Caleb decided that he would go with me.  We arrived at Suncoast and parked and made our way over to the entrance of Taste.  Wow! A very, very long queue which we had to join. Saw Hazel (Beautyshoutbox), Jane (Jane Tennent) and Shirley (Cuizine Durban) all waiting to get in.  Once we were in I also saw Megan (Stuffed) and Inge (Snap, Sizzle and Cook).  Okay so let’s get onto the the good stuff – the food!

Caleb had to go to the Lindt tent first, priorities you know.  We got 2 little containers which each had 2 freshly made chocolates in.  They were so divine!  We also priced the chocolates so that we could come back later to buy before we left.  The first stop on our food journey was eKasi Experience which had 3 choices in meals – Tripe (NO), homemade boerewors and braaied chops with pap (had this).  There was a very generous portion of pap and 2 small chops of the plate.  It was very tasty but I didn’t finish the pap as there was going to be more food to eat.  I saw the Wild Bean Cafe and was thrilled as I really needed coffee.  Their cappuccino went down very well.  We moved onto Greedy Buddha and I chose a dish that all I can say about was okay.  Time for more refreshment as the day had turned out warm.  Rekorderlig is a Swedish cider that is soon to be launched in South Africa.  There were three varieties on offer to try – Wild Berries (which I had), Pear and Strawberry.  It was extremely refreshing with a lovely taste of berries.  I think it is going to do very well in our sunny South Africa.

Chops and pap from eKasi Experience
 
Cappuccino
 

New to South Africa - Rekorderlig cider

Time for more food!  I went and waited in the long queue for Freedom Café (must be good).  Was very happy that I waited in that queue as the short ribs with dipping sauce that I ate were so yummy.  Sorry I didn’t take a picture, but you can take my word for it that they were finger licking good.  I only realized after eating them all that I hadn’t taken a picture (face palm).  Okay so 3 savoury meals and now onto sweet.  I had seen that Vigour & Verve were offering a lemon tart with crumbled coconut meringue topping, that sounded just right and it was just deliciously right.  Then it was onto Cake Lab which had launched their app at Taste of Durban.  Caleb chose a chocolate cupcake with white icing, lots of sprinkles and a moustache flag on the iPad app, pressed Shake & Bake and the cupcake was created.  We shared the very delicious cupcake.  Then it was back to Wild Bean Cafe for another cappuccino for me and a hot chocolate for Caleb.

Lemon tart with crumbled coconut meringue

Cake Lab cupcake creation

We were feeling very tired by now as we had been walking around for about 3 hours – my feet were telling me off.  So our last stop was the Lindt tent with the last of our sCoins.  We chose 10 Lindt balls, Classic dark and milk chocolate slabs and a slab of milk Excellence.  We made our way out of Taste feeling very pleased with ourselves (not the feet) and headed to the car.  Wended our way out of Durban and headed home.  Feet were very happy to be released from the shoes.  That evening 9 Lindt chocolate balls were devoured (if Neil doesn’t eat the last one very soon I will) and the Classic milk chocolate slab is no more.  The Taste of Durban was a wonderful time and I am very happy that I have been able to experience it with 2 of my kids.  Next year I think I should take Neil with.
End of Part 1 see you tomorrow for Part 2 of Weekend Weariness.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a fabulous and delicious weekend!

    ReplyDelete