Monday, 16 June 2014

East Coast Radio House & Garden Show




On a beautiful Saturday (14 June) morning I made my way to Durban with my Mom and Laura my daughter, to see the 2014 East Coast Radio House & Garden Show.  We were attending the second day of the show so I did expect it to be quite busy.  I parked in the parking lot over the road from the Durban Exhibition Centre (R20).  The parking was already half full by the time we parked and this was about 10:10am.  The show opens at 10am every day and was closing that day at 10pm.  We used the pedestrian bridge to cross the road and entered quickly with no wait whatsoever.

The outside area that you have to walk through in order to reach the exhibition hall, is dedicated to caravans, outdoor furniture, water features etc.  Hello three women!!  So we walked at quite a pace to get through.  The main entrance to the exhibition hall was on the front of the building, but as we had been last year we headed straight through the side gate on the left side so we could go look at the Homegrown Fair.  On the left side just through the gate is the gardening zone, but as I don’t have a green finger we bypassed that.  We turned left into the smaller hall that holds the Homegrown Fair and now began all the fun.

Our first stop was at Daniela’s who makes the most divine macaroons in all different colours and flavours.  The lady herself was there so we had a bit of a chat.  She has a shop in the Oxford Village in Hillcrest which of course is just up the road from Kloof.  The macaroons are R10 each or you can buy the show special of 12 for R100.  I didn’t want to go overboard so I bought 4 macaroons and 2 small gingerbread men that Laura wanted. @DecadentDani  www.danielas.co.za Daniela’s Deliciously Decadent



Next sweet and delicious stop was at Tasha's Fudge directly opposite Daniela’s.  The lady herself was also there and we got to have a chat, mmmm do you see a bit of a pattern developing????  I tried not to go too overboard and was going to just buy 4 pieces of fudge until it was explained to me that if I buy 5 I get 1 free ...... YES!  This is the show special.  Now there is not only what you know of as traditional fudge, Tasha's makes in so many different flavours including red velvet.  There is also fudge sauce!  Tasha's home base is situated in the beautiful but rather chilly Hilton just above Pietermaritzburg. @TashasFudgeSays www.tashasfudge.co.za  Tasha’s Fantastic Fudge

 


We moved on, NO not food again!  Next stop and you guessed it more chatting was with Liesa of Rollin Vintage.  Liesa and her hubby Ryan are a very talented couple that take old silverware and transform them into wearable jewellery.  You must see their gorgeous new Ellie pendant. @rollin_vintage www.rollin-vintage.blogspot.com Rollin Vintage

 


It was time to feed my washi tape addication, and Washi Bug was there to help.  Yes, yes more chatting and this time to Jaime of Washi Bug.  Laura helped me choose some washi tape, which was extremely hard to do.  They have a huge range of the most gorgeous colours and patterns.  The one tape I had to buy was the Protea by Surita Brink.  Washi Bug ran a competition for people to design their own tape and she was the winner.  They are running a raffle at the show and you could win 100m Mega washi pop. I entered!! @papertreets www.papertree.co.za Washi Bug

 
 
While standing at Washi Bug we could smell these wonderful scents and I knew just what they were from.  My favourite soap - Rondavel.  Chikondi  was taking care of the stall.  Chikondi and Kate are the couple that make the incredible soaps and balms.  My favourite soap of theirs is the Milk & Honey, but all their soap smells AMAZING.  I love that their soaps are long lasting and don’t turn to mush. Find Rondavel at the I Heart Market every month.  Available to see and buy at the show is their new Wild Mountain men’s range which consists of Helichrysum & Hemp Aftershave Balm, Wild Dagga & Cedar Shaving Soap, Wild Dagga with Coriander roll-on Deodorant, Cape Chamomile with Lavender roll-on Deodorant and Rooibos & Buchu Aftershave Tonic.  Ladies, treat the man in your life! @rondavel Rondavel

 
After a brief chat to Chikondi we back tracked a bit to look at Anthology which was situated next to Washi Bug.  Anthology is a collection of art, fashion, design, home decor, gifts and jewellery curated by the talented artist Terry Angelos, and the full shop can be seen at the Windermere Shopping Centre in Durban.  www.terryangelosart.com @AngelosTerry

 


After looking at Anthology we took a slow walk round the rest of the hall.  We discovered Bentwood in the corner and I thought their display stand looked familiar, and I was right.  Bentwood has a stall at the I Heart Market and my friend Inge bought me a Corningware dish for my birthday from them.  Mom and I really enjoyed looking at all the lovely items like JAJ Pyrex and pretty tea sets.  The lady manning the stall told us that furniture was also going to be brought in that evening.  Pity we missed seeing that.  Unfortunately no Corningware for me to buy L
bentwood@telkomsa.net

 
We wandered on and would have wandered by Mandara but a very nice young guy decided that Laura would look great with a leather flap-over bag.  The woman who owns Mandara buys the leather and makes these bags herself.  They are of very high quality and my favourite bag was the Love bag. www.mandarabags.com Mandara Bags

 

We moved straight onto another stall that stocks leather bags, wallets and other leather products.  Now this was a stall that I knew from the I Heart Market, Savior Brand Co.  They make beautifully crafted leather products and the one bag that shouted out to me was their yellow brogue tote.  You must visit their website to see their range and the colours. www.saviorbrandco.co.za @saviorbrandco Savior Brand Co

 


Feeling rather thirsty after all our looking and talking we made our way to the food section next to the Homegrown Fair.  We got something to drink and then Laura spotted the mini pizzas from Maddison Bakery.  They were in the process of making them and would only be ready in 15 minutes, so we decided to quickly look in the main hall.

We walked in a bit and came across the Robertson’s Celebrity Kitchen and were able to watch Jackie Camerson (@jackie_cameron) of Hartford House in action.  Couldn’t stay to watch till the end as Laura needed to get her mini pizzas.  We arrived back at the bakery and discovered the pizzas were selling like hot cakes!   I bought 3 mini pizzas, 1 for me and 2 for Laura.  Delicious and divine and so, so yummy!!  We went back before we left to buy 2 more for Laura.

 



So the next item on my show agenda was to find the Ginja Food Magazine stall.  I looked at the show layout and I just couldn’t see where it was.  We eventually found it at the main front entrance of the hall.  I wanted to buy their lastest issue as Laura’s picture was supposed to be in the letters to the editor section.  Laura and I excitedly and looked and there she was!  She says she is going to start practising her autograph.  We bought the issue and Laura chose a balloon to pop and received a 5% discount voucher to use on the Ginja shop. @GinjaFood www.ginjafood.com

We had 10 minutes to make it back to the Robertson’s Celebrity Kitchen to watch Chef Jacqui Brown and her 2 kids Taylor and Hayden in action.  It was great to sit down and relax for a bit as it gets very tiring walking around the show.  What a lovely baking demo by Chef Jacqui and her kids.  My Mom read her copy of the latest magazine on Sunday and said by seeing her and the kids in action made the magazine far more special.  They made chocolate mocha cupcakes and blueberry smoothies.  After the demo we went up to talk to Chef Jacqui and asked her to please sign our magazine and to show her the picture of Laura in the magazine.  Thanks to Shirley Berko (@CuizineDurban) for taking the photo of Laura and Chef Jacqui when my camera decided to play up.


Laura and Chef Jacqui

We took a very brief walk around the main hall to look for bathroom suppliers as Neil will soon be busy re-doing the bathroom for Caleb’s room.  I took brochures from 2 suppliers and then we made our way out via the pizzas.

So if you are in Durban make your way down to the Durban Exhibition Centre to see for yourself what the show has on offer.
 


Tweet them any questions you might have @HouseGardenSA

Show times

Mon – Thurs 10am to 9pm

Fri – Sat 10am to 10pm

Sundays 10am to 8pm

 
The show runs until the 22 June

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment